Pakistani Tour of New Zealand, Dec-Feb 2010/11

ferg512

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I don't think Southee's really suited at 8 at the moment. He's a good number 9, and would be even better if there was someone at 10 and 11 who could actually defend.

Yeah you're probably right its just frustrating that we can't get another spinner in there. Vettori is good at holding up the runs, but test matches are about taking wickets which he doesn't do often enough. Although he probably would do better with some quality bowling at the other end.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
They don't want to take risks and rightly so. Lead series 1-0, haven't won a series in 4 years, so of coarse Pakistan first want to make sure they are safe then go for win if there enough wickets remaining.

Younis got out otherwise they were looking good.

Yeah, I know they want to ensure the draw. But when there were 15 overs left. They should have got about 4-5 runs an over and really start hitting when there 7-8 overs left. Especially on a flat pitch, where nothing is happening at the moment (according to the commentators).

They also should know how to value a Test win.

Vettori got a LBW wicket that went over the top, but that's not going to help them.

Man of the Match and Man of the Series is probably going to be Misbah-ul_Haq.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Only five overs to go for that elusive test series victory for us. Come on boys thirty more balls.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
They are fighting for a draw, while they should have won it by now. :lol

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
If Younis had continued to play, we would have won the match but a test series victory is what Pakistan really want.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
The good thing is also that Younis Khan has come into form.

6 New Zealanders have encircled Misbah-ul-Haq. :lol

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Yes, I think if they had gotten more runs from the upper order, they would have thought differently. Once they were four wickets down, it wasn't desirable to spend so much as a single wicket on the run rate.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Play is continuing. :lol

I thought all the overs were already bowled.

Cricinfo: since the last hour only began at 5.15pm, they must bowl until 6.15pm so we keep going

One hour more. :lol And even then Pakistan won't go for the win.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
I have been waiting to say this forever. We have won a bloody test series. Hell Yeah :cheers Congrats to all Pakistanis here on PC :clap:thumbs

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Finally the match is over. I expected a more tense day then this.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Its quite difficult for us to win test matches when our spinner cant turn the ball. Would have been interesting to see a guy like Nick Beard on this pitch. Its quite annoying with Vettori in the side because these other spinners will have to wait a few more years before they get a go. I wouldn't mind in the future for Vettori to bat 6, so we could bring a new spinner in though. Southee is a more than capable number 8.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing.

As you may or may not know I'm not really a Franklin test fan (I'm happy for him to be in the ODI side), so if anything I'd look to play Vettori as the batting all-rounder, and then play a spinner who can bat a bit at eight, like Beard, I think at age group level he was a bit of an all-rounder.

Arnel probably has to go, two spells in the day kind of sums up how Vettori feels about him. I think Wagner should be ready/eligible by our next test series.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Todd Astle :yes

Yea I don't see Arnel hanging around.

ali_ed2001

Club Cricketer
No intent from Asad so far, so I'm gonna say draw.

----------

Even we can't lose 6 wickets in 15 overs, can we?

I'm pretty sure that in all the collapses we have had over the past couple of years we have probably lost 6 wickets in 15 overs once or twice at least.
What the could have done is that have Misbah defend and the other person attack or something like that. But the cautious approach is understandable.

I think they just gave up on the chase once Younis got out. You could tell Younis was really going for it and wanted to win.

Either way, I'm happy we won a test series finally!

ferg512

International Coach
Todd Astle :yes

Yea I don't see Arnel hanging around.

Yeah I have heard a lot about Todd Astle and I like the fact he is a leg spinner. Kind of sick of off spinners and you don't get many leggies these days. Arnel should never really have been in there, this is pretty harsh but it was kind of embarrassing he is the third best seam bowler we've got (in the eyes of the selectors) trundling in at 120k. Yeah he took a few wickets in the last match but most of those were pretty lucky. The problem for us was our seam attack was pretty similar. The best test attacks around the world atm have a lot of variety. I'm kind of hanging out for Wagner to qualify really, he offers that variety. Since Martin is on 199 I think he might hang around for a while longer. I mean even though hes not bowling his best there isn't really many others waiting to take his spot.

Also congratulations to Pakistan, completely deserve the win. Misbah and Younis were very impressive. Even without Amir and Asif the bowling attack still looks like it could do a lot of damage at test level. They did pretty well in this match especially as it seemed Wahab wasn't at full fitness.

----------

I was thinking the EXACT same thing.

As you may or may not know I'm not really a Franklin test fan (I'm happy for him to be in the ODI side), so if anything I'd look to play Vettori as the batting all-rounder, and then play a spinner who can bat a bit at eight, like Beard, I think at age group level he was a bit of an all-rounder.

Yeah, I haven't seen much of Beards batting but from what I saw in the HRV cup he had a pretty solid technique, and I know he got a FC fifty against us this year in the Plunket Shield. I also don't like Franklin for the tests. Doesn't offer much with the ball and with the bat hes only really going to get the odd fifty.

Users who are viewing this thread