The Smurfs Mafia - EndGame - Town Wins! (CG123, Hedger_14, BKB1991)

Varun

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
And not to forget User's l-a-m-e-ness upon revealing who BKB was following his death, though it was purely unintentional! Could've given a mouth watering finish to this game then. Though I'm not liking the ratio of the number of townies to the mafias - 13:3?

It's fine, especially since there was a serial killer (+ cult) as well.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Haari, some games do allow to reveal the night activities after person's death. As I said, it wasn't intentional. Not to forget, I hit the targets right, maybe I was instrumental in making this boring/dead game a rather interesting one. Full credits to Trev too, his claim made it all possible.

If people are really worried about what I did, I will stop playing any more mafia games.

----------

Also, I did not reveal who Bilal was. Remember, I cleared Ollie based on previous night but he actually was a mafia. So, it wasn't all that bad.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Reviews

The Game

I'm going to start my reviews with the review of the actual game itself. Despite the last few days, I have to say most of the game was a total snooze-fest. It was dull, boring and lifeless. And, I have two possible reasons. First, I think it's say to safe that there has been an overkill of mafia games recently. Most of us need a break from it. Perhaps, I should've started the game later. In hindsight, might not have been a bad idea. The second reason has something to do with this, I believe:

Additional Notes:

- The game will focus a lot on basic mafia gameplay. The structure of the game was designed so players will have to rely on their own intuitive rather than any special roles they might be given. Hopefully, this will help improve the skills of inexperienced players.

- Having said that, this game will be a challenge, even for you experienced players.

I gave the town very limited resources. Most of you were vanillas. And those with Night roles quickly realized that you had to use them wisely, as they could be both a benefit and a hindrance. For example, User2010 was the "doctor". But the person he protected was roleblocked. And vice-versa. Chewie could only use his role once, and had to make the correct choice at the right time for the town's sake. Hedger had a one-time double vote, but at the same time was a Priest. And Callum could only invesigate roles, not alignments. Vanillas and Goons would've come up 'Vanilla'; both jailkeepers would've come up simply as 'Jailkeeper', with no indication if it was the town one or the mafia one.

Add this to the fact that there were no Night write-ups, the town had very limited resources. This was deliberate. Like I said, the aim of the game was to focus on basic mafia gameplay, and improve the skills of the bad players. I was hoping that by forcing you to discuss, think and create interesting ploys (as you had no other choice), you would rely on those basic skills to win rather than on write-ups and powerful roles. Instead, you resorted to no activity. I was dissappointed by this. But then again, if there wasn't an overkill and you weren't exhaused, and had I postponed the game, perhaps you might have. Hindsight is such a bitch.

And now, on to the player reviews.

Town Players Review

Zohaib again played a terrible game. He was too aggressive on a new player, and brought unnecessary suspicion on himself. Terrible gameplay.

Not much to say on Maney2k9 and ZoraxDoom. Shame that they both went so early on. I know Zorax is a damn good player, and would have helped the town's cause a lot. Maney looked a good player from what I saw (pressured either Tom or Jack on Day 1 iirc).

Felt sorry for AngryPixel. It was clear that this was his first game, and made some noobish mistakes. Good players should have realized that instead of pressuring him because of those. Unfortunately for him, his last mistake cost him the game. Atleast you'll hopefully learn from this and not repeat the mistake again.

Chewie's game was interesting. I was rather intrigued of how he would use his role, and was quite surprised that he used it the first night itself. I guess he figured he might die early, and try and get the most of it. In hindsight, he was correct :p Shame he couldn't participate that much, as he had his exam when he was alive, and was killed soon after it finished. :p Was also surprised by how many people targetted him the Night he died.

And the same goes for MaD. He was targetted by 3/5 roles the Night he died :p Would've been part of the cult if Tom's recruit was successful. I was slightly dissappointed by his activity. With his experience, he should have played a more active part. Not much else to comment on here.

Varun impressed me the most, tbh. He was evaluating posts, giving out logical arguments, and was the most active. Could've used his Night role a bit better near the end, but here, I think he showed how much he's improved in the game. For that, he is the Modders' MVP.

This next player, however, was the complete opposite. Vedarshi again showed no imrpovement, and quite frankly was a waste of space. His antics didn't help his cause, and he can piss off for all I care.

User2010 turned out to have the most important role for the town. Wasn't expecting that. Managed to turn the game in the town's favour after his conter-claim against Treva. Was instrumental in the subsequent successful lynches for the town. Although, his confidence in Ollie's innocence may have ended up costing the town if he survived. But he did turn the game around, and for that, he is the Town's MVP.

Hedger_14 had an interesting role, and the best character to boot ;) Not his best game though, and I think he knows it. But, he still deserves his maiden victory - it was a long time coming.

Bevab again showed no improvement to his game. But unlike Vedarshi, his temprement has improved. And that's something, I guess. He was replaced by BKB1991, who again played another good game for the town. Only Vanilla to survive until the end, and I guess that's saying something. Congrats on another win.

Aditya surprised me. He played a much better game this time round, and thought ahead. I thought it was genius for him to not claim his role straight away, and he had the sense to not blindly trust his results. Good show! He was replaced by CG123, but quite late on. But Callum once again showed why he's one of the better players going. He chose the right targets to investigate, and made it near-impossible for the mafia to win. Congrats on your win.

Mafia Players Review

I'm going to group the mafia together. They made the fatal error of not disclosing their full PM roles to each other, which led to Treva mis-understanding his role. As the mafia jailkeeper, Treva could roleblock any townie, or, protect his fellow mafia from all roles. If he knew P_Squared had the ability to choose who performs the kill, I'm sure the mafia could have strategised between them who gets protected and who performs the kill. Treva played a good game though, but failed to realize there was more than one jailkeeper. And that was his downfall.

P_Squared didn't do too much, but he did manage to keep under the radar for a while. That hurt him in the end, and should've done something earlier to help him later on. But fair play to him - the way the town was playing early on, he didn't actually have to do much.

Ollie_H's role-claim was simply brilliant. I loved it - it got him off the hook during the 'vanilla hunt', and if it wasn't for Callum's claim, he might have actually won. Good game from him. Came terribly close to winning it (I don't think either BKB or Hedger were 100% convinced you were mafia when you got hammered), and for that, you are the Mafia's MVP.

And for those who are interested, here's the mafia quick-topic:

Smurfs Mafia Discussion - QuickTopic free message board hosting

And that leaves Highlander999. He had the power to recruit (twice) as well as the ability to kill. Was unlucky User jailkept him when he did, cos there was not much suspcion on you (apart from User himself). I think you missed a trick by not recruiting him (was baffled you chose MaD). And was unfortunate for Maney you killed him on Night 1. Could've recruited him instead :p

And that's that. I know it wasn't the best of games, but hope you enjoyed it anyway.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Aditya surprised me. He played a much better game this time round, and thought ahead. I thought it was genius for him to not claim his role straight away, and he had the sense to not blindly trust his results. Good show! He was replaced by CG123, but quite late on. But Callum once again showed why he's one of the better players going. He chose the right targets to investigate, and made it near-impossible for the mafia to win. Congrats on your win.

I'm glad you liked my game. :) Indeed, CG did really well to replace me. :)

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
I dont think theres an overkill of mafia games, but then again I didnt play the last two ones. I loved the concept of this game that allows a more traditional mafia play instead of one dominated by roles. Would have really liked to have played more.

Whats wrong with mafia games is that we have got some noobish members here. I dont want to sound overly-critical, but 90% of the noobish players basically bide there time, here trying to survive, not trying to make any bold statements or FOS or pressure lynch someone. You need to take chances. Yes there are times when you back the wrong person and could look to get into trouble later on, but if you are taking logical steps that are backed with good reasoning you can defend yourself. If you are not going to be seen to be helping the town, then you are going to be lynched soon. And then you dont whine. You cant say that you havent done anything wrong, because we will never be 100% sure who is or isnt mafia. And here you can point back to your earlier attempts to lynch or pressure someone to show that you have been helping the town. Because personally speaking, if you are simply just quiet and havent done anything mafialike, I will still lynch you because you have been zero help to town. I think most member think the same way too.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
tbf, I thought my role claim was genious and there was only one flaw to it but Tom's lack of a kill on the second night made it all the more plausible and had I not killed off User I might have gotten away with it but was still a really tight situation.

Anyone like my rants to myself? :p

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Well, there was only one person gone after night 2 which led to my role claim being all the more plausible.

Highlander999

ICC President
I blame a combination of work and relationship problems meaning I was unable to mount an effective defence of myself as I didn't have time towards the end of the game :(

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Any changes in your views? Well, I've mentioned earlier as well and will mention again, I'm trying to improve my gameplay in mafia games and according to me I've been a little more useful to the townies (in the game where I've been townie obviously ) in my last few games compared to the first few I played. Oh yeah, congrats for winning your first mafia game.

I've got to hand it to you, great move :p Just didn't think you would do it, haha. And thanks, it's good to finally win.

----------

And yeah, I agree it wasn't my best game but I didn't think I did too badly. I was trying to make things happen a bit too much and ended up getting innocent townies into getting lynched because the game just wasn't going anywhere. I'm just happy I didn't get killed this game like I normally do. Thanks mafia :)

----------

I don't think either BKB or Hedger were 100% convinced you were mafia when you got hammered

Well actually, I was 100% sure when he got hammered but I wasn't before that. I just didn't want to somehow die because I was the priest, and if you have never won a mafia game before but gone so close (talking about HP mafia), then you would have cautious doing the hammering with my role. :p

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
I was 100% sure when he got hammered

Well yeah, because my only defence was 'bollox'. I was too hung over and ill to BS my way out of that situation and then CG started getting personal about the whole thing so I called it quits.

As I said when two of the last 4 guys to play the game have only just come in maybe a day or two ago I don't really have much to go against them with apart from the person before's actions but thats not really helpful.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Personally, I thought the turning point in the game was adding in the two replacements. Had it not been for that (at which I voiced my concerns in the quicktopic) I think the mafias may have won this one.

I agree with you, I'm not a fan of replacements. I obviously didn't mind here, but quite often I've seen them change the game.

Well yeah, because my only defence was 'bollox'. I was too hung over and ill to BS my way out of that situation and then CG started getting personal about the whole thing so I called it quits.

Lol, how did I getting personal?

Looking back the game set-up looked very well thought over, so credit to you Papa_Smurf, it's just a shame that some of the sign-ups you got in the end were total dud players.

Users who are viewing this thread