DBC 17 Slider Thread

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Folks, does anyone know what "Ball Friction" slider does? I thought it was for speed of the outfield (heavy or slow) but when I bumped the slider from 50 to 100 I didn't see a perceptible difference. The ball still seemed to go with the same speed to the boundary. I saw a huge change if I tweaked the slider from 50 to 100 (say "Max Pace") but I couldn't see any difference when I tweaked "Ball Friction" slider.

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Folks, does anyone know what "Ball Friction" slider does? I thought it was for speed of the outfield (heavy or slow) but when I bumped the slider from 50 to 100 I didn't see a perceptible difference. The ball still seemed to go with the same speed to the boundary. I saw a huge change if I tweaked the slider from 50 to 100 (say "Max Pace") but I couldn't see any difference when I tweaked "Ball Friction" slider.

I just assumed it was for cutters and spin?? Haven't tried though

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
I just assumed it was for cutters and spin?? Haven't tried though

That is "Pitch Friction". When you turn "Pitch Friction" up you get more spin and I'm assuming more seam. Didn't see much difference when I changed "Ball Friction" slider.

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Alright i’ll give it a crack! Be back soon.

Edit: It looks like it affects the cutter mate, from my interpretation it does, but probably not as much as I'd think it should!

Last edited:

The_Pharoah

International Coach
Well here's my $0.02 worth:
- I basically have pitch friction and ball friction down to about 10%. This simulates a real cricket pitch (none of this BS 'ball slows 10m from boundary)
- shot power = 90 (now when I clip a ball through mid wicket it actually runs to the boundary but not every time)
- bowler swing 75, pace 90, bounce 75, spin bowler flight and turn at 75 (still testing it - might make it higher).
- I haven't figured out what 'influence bowling' or whatever it is means - I'm assuming if I hit 3 fours in a row, the bowler changes their action or field?
- the fast bowling now comes up with some stupid speeds eg Starc bowling 180kmph. Might be due to the slider. Even then it's still quite easy to deal with. Maybe I'm used to the super fast DB14 bowling.

Must say I've seen improvements in DB17 in bowling and field settings. I still hate the close in fielders being rock walls with no fear of getting hit (IRL silly point hides when the batsman swings). The number an variation of nicks is awesome - was on 78 and went to glance a ball on leg stump from Mitchell Starc to mid wicket but mistimed it and the ball went flying to gully!!! That....was....awesome!!!

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Boys and girls and @cricket_online , I'm just in the midst of having a fiddle with the batting sliders, i've been trying to find "my" perfect balance for batting difficulty and realism, I believe I've come very close to finding a perfect balance. Fingers crossed it works for others... anyway without further ado:

Batting- custom difficulty

Ball marker display time: 25
Shot timing difficulty: 37 (important)
Foot placement difficulty: 50
Bowl quality influence: 50
Shot choice difficulty: 25 (important)

Everything else was left as is, except pace min and max were bumped up to 55 each

So there you have it! Please give it a whirl and appreciate some feedback and your own suggestions, and lets get this discussion cranking!

Note: I've only been experimenting with batting, as I've been happy with the bowling experience so far... Very happy:)

Edit: sorry!!! Also remove the timing feedback meter for batting! Very very important!

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Boys and girls and @cricket_online , I'm just in the midst of having a fiddle with the batting sliders, i've been trying to find "my" perfect balance for batting difficulty and realism, I believe I've come very close to finding a perfect balance. Fingers crossed it works for others... anyway without further ado:

Batting- custom difficulty

Ball marker display time: 25
Shot timing difficulty: 37 (important)
Foot placement difficulty: 50
Bowl quality influence: 50
Shot choice difficulty: 25 (important)

Everything else was left as is, except pace min and max were bumped up to 55 each

So there you have it! Please give it a whirl and appreciate some feedback and your own suggestions, and lets get this discussion cranking!

Note: I've only been experimenting with batting, as I've been happy with the bowling experience so far... Very happy:)

Edit: sorry!!! Also remove the timing feedback meter for batting! Very very important!

I tweaked mine a bit as follows...

Ball marker display time: 50 (I need more time to see the ball :) )
Shot timing difficulty: 70
Foot placement difficulty: 70
Bowl quality influence: 70
Shot choice difficulty: 70
Max & Min Pace: 60 (most probably will reduce them a tad)
Ball friction: 100 (haven't seen much of a difference but I wanted to slow down the outfield a bit)
Pitch Friction: 65
Fast Bowling spin: 65 (I'm assuming it's for seam)
Fast Bowling: swing: 60
Other sliders: 55 or 50

Had to bump up the shot timing, foot placement and bowl quality sliders to rein in the scoring else the scoring rate was getting way too high for my liking. If I could somehow slow down the outfield it would be great. @MattW, @HBK619 is there a slider to slow down the outfield? I thought it was 'Ball Friction' but don't see much of a difference even if I bumpt it up to 100.

storey205

School Cricketer
I'm looking to utilise the game sliders for batting as my skills are caught in the middle of easy and medium. Ideally I would take the gamplay sliders from easy mode and make some minor modifications using this as a base but i can't seem to find out what the settings are for the sliders for the different difficulty modes.

Has anyone experienced this issue and if so how can I find the default values.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
Maybe ball friction has something to do with revers swing. Reverse swing is basically how the ball gets friction from air on rough/shiny side to swing.

PrivateLitz

School Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Just bumping this in case others come up with something worth sharing in terms of realistic feel and so on.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
I'm strangely at the moment torn between pro and vet and I'm seemingly getting a wide range of dismissals on pro.

Bowleds and Nicks to slip etc!

AbsoluteWrongun

School Cricketer
Liverpool (Aigburth is my closest ground)
I'm having trouble setting the sliders properly. I'm playing on pro overall difficulty, and whilst I'm doing well against pace (though I still find my middle stick ripped out now and again), sometimes I just can't hit a spin delivery and will only last 2 or 3 balls before I go leg before or I mistime it either early to get a stumping or it hit my wicket or late for a nice easy catch for the wk. Any idea where I might be going wrong with the sliders? (I understand my skill level will also be contributing to my missing the ball, but it shouldn't be missed to this extent, and wasn't before I started fiddling with the sliders (I also understand that I could reset the spin bowling sliders to the defaults, but I'm looking to find the best balance I can, so anyone who has a good setting for spin and could let me know that would be great.))

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Hey all,
For those who've turned the "ball bounce" up, do you find that the ball still hits the stumps if the batsman misses it? Are LBW's still in play?

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Maybe ball friction has something to do with revers swing. Reverse swing is basically how the ball gets friction from air on rough/shiny side to swing.

Thinking back to one of the patches from DBC14, and assuming it is still the case. Ball friction is to do with how much the ground resists on the ball. So it should affect things like the ball slowing up in the outfield, and playing along the ground. Probably more effects too, but those are the most obvious. Big Ant made a tweak to this variable in something like patch 2 for DBC14 because it was impossible to hit the ball along the ground at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread