The Retro Thread

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
If love a temperament score or attribute. So in pressure situations you have a Steve Waugh who ups their game or an Ian Bell who flops like a wet rag
It'd be interesting if concepts from other genres of game was incorporated, perhaps most beneficial for career mode or maybe in series or competitions, that give you skill boosts. So, instead of collecting four runes or finding four secrets you score four centuries or take four five-for and can add a bonus skill, maybe boost one skill rating by 10 or hit ten sixes and boost your strength by ten. Something like that.

Skill tree is the term I'm looking for.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I am making players to cover the 3 ashes series 1981 - 1985. if anyone wants to collaborate, let me know - i have a google spreadsheet we can coordinate through.

so far only made Gooch, Botham, Boycott and Woolmer.

Have also added the @wasteyouryouth Gatting and Emburey to the England squad and Boon, Border & McDermott to Australia.

GorgeousGeorge59

County Cricketer
This is interesting. Under the icc rating ÷ 10 formula. Barrington is rated 91 and Cowdrey 87.

Cowdrey scored 7624 runs with an average of 44.06 (test matches).

Barrington scored 6806 test runs with an average of 58.67

Personally I'd put Cowdrey higher than Barrington, but interesting nonetheless.

villafan001

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
This is interesting. Under the icc rating ÷ 10 formula. Barrington is rated 91 and Cowdrey 87.

Cowdrey scored 7624 runs with an average of 44.06 (test matches).

Barrington scored 6806 test runs with an average of 58.67

Personally I'd put Cowdrey higher than Barrington, but interesting nonetheless.

Barrington was absolute quality, really - and his career would probably have gone on a few years longer had he not had a heart attack. Definitely England ATB XI in my book.

We’ve applied something of a leeway to the rating/10 approach (especially where ODI ratings differ significantly), it’s not perfect but it’s pretty good I think (you get the real top players at 90+, a good crop of 80s and then more run of the mill internationals in the 70s etc). It was really just a guide to try and get a relative consistency of skills across all the ATB sides.

Sweppy12

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Yea that rating system wouldn't be viable for every player... For example an Adam Voges has a rediculous average, but from a small amount of games and most runs against minnows, compared to say a Justin Langer or Matthew Hayden who were obviously top players but had a longer career[DOUBLEPOST=1513212450][/DOUBLEPOST]Not sure why m.i.n.n.o.w.s is censored...

cd779

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
@Sweppy12 the ICC rankings do account for the number of games played, sort of, god knows what method they use. Voges' all-time rating for batting is 824, compared to 780 for Langer and 935 for Hayden.

Cloud Starkman

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I am making players to cover the 3 ashes series 1981 - 1985. if anyone wants to collaborate, let me know - i have a google spreadsheet we can coordinate through.

so far only made Gooch, Botham, Boycott and Woolmer.

Have also added the @wasteyouryouth Gatting and Emburey to the England squad and Boon, Border & McDermott to Australia.
I have done a version of Kepler Wessels I tried to use the DBC 17 attributes but he looks like he has no neck skills still need to be done it was very time consuming to write down all the settings from DBC 17 then apply to Ashes it took well over an hour for just one player username sid333

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Yea that rating system wouldn't be viable for every player... For example an Adam Voges has a rediculous average, but from a small amount of games and most runs against ******s, compared to say a Justin Langer or Matthew Hayden who were obviously top players but had a longer career[DOUBLEPOST=1513212450][/DOUBLEPOST]Not sure why m.i.n.n.o.w.s is censored...
Minn*w could be regarded as derogatory in some contexts

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
Barrington was absolute quality, really - and his career would probably have gone on a few years longer had he not had a heart attack. Definitely England ATB XI in my book.

We’ve applied something of a leeway to the rating/10 approach (especially where ODI ratings differ significantly), it’s not perfect but it’s pretty good I think (you get the real top players at 90+, a good crop of 80s and then more run of the mill internationals in the 70s etc). It was really just a guide to try and get a relative consistency of skills across all the ATB sides.

I use a combination of things for rating players that seems to work. I am going to use Graham Gooch as an example. Gooch has a BA of 42 and a BWA of 49.

I start from the overall rating based on what is the stronger of the two. In this case batting. If it was bowling I'd rate the overall based on that. This I stress is a starting point. OnceI have set the overall it will automatically set the ratings.

if a batsman, I take batting average and x 2

or a bowler it's their bowling average subtracted from 110. (I read something somewhere on the DB17 forums I think the person multiplied the BA x 1.8).

Gooch's overall rating would be 42 x 2 = 84.

Then I input their batting ability the same way, I already know his starting point is 84 as overall that what he is, a batsman. I then make allowances for favourite shots, I make the favourite shots slightly higher. Gooch's batting skills would average 84 across the board, so I make tweaks here and there, some shots maybe 90, but I even out as much as I can at 84 or thereabouts. As I do this his overall may drop or increase.

Then I input their bowling ability, make allowances for stronger attributes. In this case, I know Gooch's BWA is 49. So his bowling ratings would average out at 49 subtracted from 110 = 61. So I even out his bowling ratings at 61 allowing for strengths and weaknesses.

The fielding is once again based on the overall but I keep things a bit tighter here, reasoning at test level most players not named Phil Tufnel will be at a decent levels 75 to 80 across the board. Again Ido some research putting players in the 80s if they were genuinely in the excellent fielder category. Purely subjective of course, but someone like Jonty Rhodes, Roger Harper, Colin Bland would be in the 90s.

So what of players who average above 50 for batting. Clearly here for me anything above a 90 is world class to legendary, this is where I use the ICC Ranking and divide my 10 and then tweak according to the following scale which I read here, posted in italics from CD779

Going through the English county teams and correcting players bowling styles has been interesting, and has led to lots of changes in overall ratings e.g. a 70 rated bowler may only be a 50 rated player when he is correctly assigned to the role of all-rounder. Having also noted that even among the licensed players it seems that mentalities are off (Alastair Cook as 'aggressive'), I thought it would be good if we could come up with some sort of system for how to rate players and how to set their mentalities.

For attributes, how would people feel about a system such as this:
90-99: All-time greats (Bradman, Warne)
85-89: Best players in the world (Kohli, Root, Smith, Williamson, Steyn)
80-84: World class (Broad, Ashwin, Warner, Stokes, Bairstow)
75-79: Good international players (Woakes, Moeen, Khawaja)
70-74: Emerging international players (Handscomb, Adil Rashid, Stoneman, Malan)
65-69: Top domestic players/new internationals (Ballance, Vince, Paine, Ball)
60-64: Good domestic players (Sam Northeast, Leach, Mason Crane, Hameed)
50-59: Average domestic players
40-49: New and below average domestic players

Obviously it's always going to be subjective (I'm sure some will disagree with some of the examples I've given), but do we think it's a good idea to have something like this in mind when we edit teams or not?

For bowling mentality, I have no idea, but I thought for batting mentality we could potentially base it off strike rates? For example, Test strike rate:
Below 50 - Conservative or precise (Alastair Cook)
50-60 - Balanced or aggressive
60 and above - Aggressive or brute

What do you guys think - it could be beneficial to throw some ideas around at this early stage while teams are still being made up.

For all rounders and wicketkeepers and fielding stats I actually start with the table above and apply my system. Sometimes I start from there. So using the formula, CD779 and the ICC Rankings I can get a decent creation. However it is not perfect but a whole new way to have some fun!

Last edited:

pinku

Associate Captain
Ashes Cricket_20171214215325.jpg

Australia World Cup 2007:

Edited some player hairstyles eg Nathan Bracken.

The rest of the players downloaded from the community.

I have made the kit again with the limitations we all know about so definitely a temporary kit.

I am not great at linking players to be honest so sadly there will be a couple of them who are not linked.

Psn id: Don1_

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread