The Retro Thread

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
am sadly of the view that the post release patches have rendered the game unplayable, so my appetite for getting seriously into player creation is limited.

that said - i've just put up a Clive Rice that i think looks quite good.

am gonna make a few players in the hope that post christmas break BA manage to undo the damage they've done and get the game back on track... @Mouseydread has already given me 80% or more of a west indies rebel team so might have a go at that tour.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
am sadly of the view that the post release patches have rendered the game unplayable, so my appetite for getting seriously into player creation is limited.

that said - i've just put up a Clive Rice that i think looks quite good.

am gonna make a few players in the hope that post christmas break BA manage to undo the damage they've done and get the game back on track... @Mouseydread has already given me 80% or more of a west indies rebel team so might have a go at that tour.

I'm interested why you dislike it so much? Batting too easy?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I'm interested why you dislike it so much? Batting too easy?

AI dismissals have regressed, far too much aerial. Batting is too easy but worse than that is the AI bowling - absolute garbage line and lengths. and then the stumping bug that BA made 1000 times worse by with their "fix".

and somehow the game seems much much worse when you play with the user-created non-licensed teams.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
AI dismissals have regressed, far too much aerial. Batting is too easy but worse than that is the AI bowling - absolute garbage line and lengths. and then the stumping bug that BA made 1000 times worse by with their "fix".

and somehow the game seems much much worse when you play with the user-created non-licensed teams.

and here's the real kicker - there is zero value in trying to play a real test innings, since you can slog ball 1 with impunity.

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
This is the one thing I disagree with. I find it better with created teams. The licensed players are too highly skilled IMO.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
This is the one thing I disagree with. I find it better with created teams. The licensed players are too highly skilled IMO.

interesting. tbh i stopped playing wth the licensed teams a day or two after patch 1.05 (i didn't play 1.04 at all) since then i have hardly touched the game. a little bit more on 1.05 and then some 1.06 over christmas, all with user-created teams/players. so it's not a fair comparison perhaps. all i know is the game went from almost there on 1.03 to hands down the worst of the 3 BA games now.

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
interesting. tbh i stopped playing wth the licensed teams a day or two after patch 1.05 (i didn't play 1.04 at all) since then i have hardly touched the game. a little bit more on 1.05 and then some 1.06 over christmas, all with user-created teams/players. so it's not a fair comparison perhaps. all i know is the game went from almost there on 1.03 to hands down the worst of the 3 BA games now.
I still think it is a lot better than 17 and still has promise. Why the model of 14 was just canned, I will never understand. That game was so close to perfect. And the 2 merged would have been the real thing.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018

That's interesting. Admittedly I probably have played nowhere near as much as you but I would say >90% of the dismissals I've had in tests I would consider genuine. Never experienced the stumping bug either. The AI bowling I'm pretty sure is down to whether the bowler is aggressive/brute/conservative etc. There are definitely some bowlers that hit a very consistent line and length.

Batting is for sure too easy though I am still enjoying it with Wealey's sliders.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I still think it is a lot better than 17 and still has promise. Why the model of 14 was just canned, I will never understand. That game was so close to perfect. And the 2 merged would have been the real thing.

From 14 the depth of customisation, even on console with the level of kit variation, was amazing.

I assumed the loss of that in 17 was an aberration but it regressed further in ashes.

Gameplay wise, 17 improved some things (edges mainly) and regressed others. Ashes almost had everything, and then it just fell apart like a house of cards.

Users who are viewing this thread