Bangladesh Tour of Zimbabwe April/May 2013

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Can't believe Zimbabwe won the toss and elected to field :facepalm That's given Bangladesh an advantage, even if they did struggle a bit early on they should post a decent 1st innings total and Zimbabwe seem to rely on Taylor for runs. And with no great batting strength the Zimmers tend to put too many bowlers in their side, Chigumbura is no great shakes as a batsman or indeed bowler

Chigumbura

Tests : 231 runs @ 15.40 (HS 71) & 13 wkts @ 48.38 (BB 5/54)
ODIs : 2837 runs @ 23.84 (HS 79) & 91 wkts @ 40.53 (BB 4/28)

16 fifties in 148 combined innings in ODIs and Tests is hardly the making of a great all-rounder, five of those fifties came in ODIs vs Bangladesh, another couple vs Kenya and West Indies are the only team of note against whom he's made more than one. And his 4/28 came against Kenya.

In Tests his one fifty is, surprise surprise, against Bangladesh. Against Sri Lanka and South Africa he's scored 72 runs @ 9.00. And his 5/54 was against BANGLADESH, his other three wickets came at 100.67 against Sri Lanka and South Africa. Sure he can improve, he's only played a few Tests, but why Zimbabwe need five bowlers I'll never know. No good throwing bowlers at the opposition, no amount of quantity will compensate no quality.

Last edited:

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
Can't believe Zimbabwe won the toss and elected to field :facepalm That's given Bangladesh an advantage, even if they did struggle a bit early on they should post a decent 1st innings total and Zimbabwe seem to rely on Taylor for runs. And with no great batting strength the Zimmers tend to put too many bowlers in their side, Chigumbura is no great shakes as a batsman or indeed bowler

Chigumbura

Tests : 231 runs @ 15.40 (HS 71) & 13 wkts @ 48.38 (BB 5/54)
ODIs : 2837 runs @ 23.84 (HS 79) & 91 wkts @ 40.53 (BB 4/28)

16 fifties in 148 combined innings in ODIs and Tests is hardly the making of a great all-rounder, five of those fifties came in ODIs vs Bangladesh, another couple vs Kenya and West Indies are the only team of note against whom he's made more than one. And his 4/28 came against Kenya.

In Tests his one fifty is, surprise surprise, against Bangladesh. Against Sri Lanka and South Africa he's scored 72 runs @ 9.00. And his 5/54 was against Zimbabwe, his other three wickets came at 100.67 against Sri Lanka and South Africa. Sure he can improve, he's only played a few Tests, but why Zimbabwe need five bowlers I'll never know. No good throwing bowlers at the opposition, no amount of quantity will compensate no quality.

Zimbabwe?

Chigumbura's one big achievement in first class cricket, that I can remember; was his century against Australia A a couple of years back. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to repeat anything like that. He basically was selected for the test matches because of his form in the BPL, which is silly. I would of brought him back for the shorter forms.

He's our only decent all-rounder other than Cremer at the moment. So the selectors have basically decided to go in with two all-rounders to bolster both the batting and bowling.

He's done okay in this test so far. Just hope he does something with the bat. :)

Owzat

International Coach
Looks like the Zimmers will be losing this one, really can't see the current partnership and what's to come raising them much above 230-250. Did they not learn from Bangladesh's mistake, or are too many captains scared of being bowled out cheaply?

Zimbabwe?

Meant Bangladesh, either way it wasn't anyone special.

Chigumbura's one big achievement in first class cricket, that I can remember; was his century against Australia A a couple of years back. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to repeat anything like that. He basically was selected for the test matches because of his form in the BPL, which is silly. I would of brought him back for the shorter forms.

He's our only decent all-rounder other than Cremer at the moment. So the selectors have basically decided to go in with two all-rounders to bolster both the batting and bowling.

He's done okay in this test so far. Just hope he does something with the bat. :)

He has scored a few runs, but now Zimbabwe have only one particularly classy batsman in Taylor and if he doesn't score runs then they are facing an uphill struggle

Tests (including current Test)

Sibanda (10) - 433 runs @ 22.79
Chakabva (4) - 141 runs @ 20.14
H Masakadza (23) - 1042 runs @ 23.68
Taylor (18) - 1172 runs @ 35.52
Waller (6) - 256 runs @ 28.44
Chigumbura (9) - 276 runs @ 18.40 & 16 wkts @ 44.00
Mutumbami (2) - 11 runs @ 5.50 (WK)
Cremer (11) - 202 runs @ 10.63 & 24 wkts @ 42.71
Meth (2) - 52 runs @ 52.00 & 4 wkts @ 24.50
Jarvis (8) - 51 runs @ 8.50 & 29 wkts @ 30.07
S Maskadza (3) - 45 runs @ 22.50 & 7 wkts @ 30.29

Only one batsman averaging over 30, albeit most have played 10 or less Tests, and Meth the only bowler averaging under 30 and all his wickets have come against Bangladesh.

I like Jarvis, but 13 of his wickets have come against Bangladesh, the other 16 have come at 32.75 but against West Indies (7), New Zealand (7) and Pakistan (2 @ 48.00) Ironically despite opposition on these forums to tiers, there is more or less a division already.

Has Craig Ervine retired? Is he injured? Unavailable? And what about Mawayo? 163no against Pakistan must top what half of the current batting line-up have done. And Coventry may only average 22, but against India. And Lamb, where is he? Might not be world beating figures, but at least against Pakistan in his one Test - I'd take 3/141 against Pakistan over 5/58 against Bangladesh any and every day of the week.

I guess Vitori is on the scrap heap because he could average only 24.40 against Bangladesh and 1 wicket for 212 against Pakistan and New Zealand meant he should be left out. If you can't show some consistency of selection how can players ever show some consistency?

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
Has Craig Ervine retired? Is he injured? Unavailable? And what about Mawayo? 163no against Pakistan must top what half of the current batting line-up have done. And Coventry may only average 22, but against India. And Lamb, where is he? Might not be world beating figures, but at least against Pakistan in his one Test - I'd take 3/141 against Pakistan over 5/58 against Bangladesh any and every day of the week.

I guess Vitori is on the scrap heap because he could average only 24.40 against Bangladesh and 1 wicket for 212 against Pakistan and New Zealand meant he should be left out. If you can't show some consistency of selection how can players ever show some consistency?

Craig rejected the contract he was offered, and went to Ireland to play club cricket. None of the teams had a overseas spot free, so he's going to have to find a team in England to play cricket. Mawoyo is injured, out for about six weeks. Coventry is just a slogger could be considered for the T20 side, and maybe ODI's if he is the keeper. Shouldn't be anywhere near the test side. There is talk of Lamb retiring, if not he's very close to the end of his career; didn't bowl that well in the domestic season, which is a shame. Played mostly as a batsmen for the Mountaineers. Vitori has fitness problems, and his stamina isn't great.

Not sure what you mean by consistency of selection. They've selected players that have done well in domestic cricket. They've kept players in the side that consistently under-performed. I suppose that's because we have no-one to replace them. :(

Owzat

International Coach
Not sure what you mean by consistency of selection. They've selected players that have done well in domestic cricket. They've kept players in the side that consistently under-performed. I suppose that's because we have no-one to replace them. :(

Well it was consistency of selection, although some of your explanations as to where players are answers it to a degree (given the number of changes just from the last series)

Looks like Zimbabwe will be facing 300+ , Bangladesh should notch up another win to go with their three and all pretty unimpressive. At this rate they should be good enough to compete with the better Test nations by, oh I dunno, 3013.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
tbh this should have been 2-0 easily. taylor looks like the guy that knows what he's doing when it comes to building an innings but man for man bangladesh are heavily out-gunning them talent wise.

landing in the country about 2 days before the first test just isn't excusable, this is a series they needed to take seriously and show they can win. in a two test series using the first one to play yourself into the conditions is just stupid.

surely they can't keep hossain at no.7 any longer, I get he's there to increase confidence through the order but he's averaging 46 when most of the others are struggling to clear 30.

1iram1

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Much better performance by us so far this test. I can't believe how complacent we were, not asking for a warmup match. It looks like we finally found a half decent pacer for tests in Robiul.

Nasir should stay at 7, he bats better with the tail and has been saving us after the top order collapses on a regular basis. Definitely our most reliable batsman right now.

Also we are now picking seamers with decent first class records now, good to see.

Last edited:

Owzat

International Coach
tbh this should have been 2-0 easily. taylor looks like the guy that knows what he's doing when it comes to building an innings but man for man bangladesh are heavily out-gunning them talent wise.

landing in the country about 2 days before the first test just isn't excusable, this is a series they needed to take seriously and show they can win. in a two test series using the first one to play yourself into the conditions is just stupid.

surely they can't keep hossain at no.7 any longer, I get he's there to increase confidence through the order but he's averaging 46 when most of the others are struggling to clear 30.

The decision to insert the opposition was crucial in both Tests, just a 4th Test win in 79 Tests for Bangladesh. It was naive to say the least for Bangladesh to arrive and start playing.

The sooner the ICC wakes up to two tiers the better, rather than routinely get thrashed when top sides deign to play either of them, they're better off winning from time to time and at least developing while playing at their own level. Would a third or fourth tier football side, or two, benefit being thrown in at the deep end in the top flight for weakly thrashings and the occaisional win or draw? Of course not, and if they didn't even have the respite of relegation to bring them down to a level closer to their own then it would be relentless and thankless.

And as I'm sure I said in my first post, the decision to play only two Tests is baffling. They won't get many offers from the top sides and this is now left even with both Tests pretty much decided by the side inserted thus getting first use.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
everyone that has won the toss has chosen to field and been punished for it. surely whoever wins the next one will have to have a punt on batting first.

zimmers really need to bounce back from this though, not pretty when you're demolished by bangladesh and it just furth confirms that the first test win was down to bangladesh coming in cold.

troll3y

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Sri Lanka
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Was Mushfiqur's resignation of the captaincy an overreaction? It definitely isn't what Bangladesh needed; it seems like he threw in the towel a little too easily. Bangladesh may have been outplayed in the ODIs, but they need solidarity and leadership, and this isn't helping.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I feel there is a strain of childishness that runs through bangladeshi cricket at all levels.

too many batsmen play like dreamers, slashing at balls and getting out, players taking public huffs, knee-jerk droppings of players. this is just another example, he sounds like he's disappointed and is cutting his nose off to spite his face. proper leader would have gone back and re-doubled his efforts. would have been very easy for dhoni, for example, to do the same after getting demolished by england and australia, instead he came back stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread